BFI explore how cinema has influenced Kate’s work

Moira Shearer in Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s visually ravishing Technicolor masterpiece, The Red Shoes (1948)

An article on the British Film Institute‘s website, in association with their current season of gothic films, delves into Kate’s back catalogue to “discover how the darker side of cinema influenced some of her greatest hits.”

The article touches on Wuthering Heights, The Red Shoes, The Infant Kiss, Hounds of Love and The Dreaming, citing the influence of films such as Night of the Demon, The Innocents and The Shining on these classic songs. Read the full article at the BFI site here.

Homeground: The Kate Bush Magazine: Two Volume Anthology Available NOW on Amazon! CLICK HERE TO ORDER

This entry was posted in Kate Bush news. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to BFI explore how cinema has influenced Kate’s work

1. Caleb Lane says:

I am so thrilled that Alex Davidson took the time to highlight this facet of Kate’s work for those who might not be aware of it. In my perception, her output has always been synonymous with all things cinematic, though certainly not merely because of her influences. Her music as its own entity, never mind her consistently innovative visual projects (including promo videos and, particularly since 2005 onwards, album artwork), is worthy of comparison to anything found in the canons of history’s finest filmmakers. Why? Because her songs have time and again proven to be more than songs; they’re stories, ones we’re always eager to return to.

2. Very good article, but needed to be a bit more up to date by looking at the impact of Luc Besson’s ‘The Messenger’ on ‘Joanni’

3. Nanette says:

I’d say it was more of a summary than an in depth article. I think a film studies student could produce an excellent master’s or doctoral thesis on Kate Bush and film — there’s certainly a lot of material to work with.

4. Nanette says:

Addendum to note that Ron Moy’s “Kate Bush and Hounds of Love” does talk a bit about Kate and film, although that isn’t the book’s main focus.

5. Robert says:

And although not in the gothic genre, certainly Disney’s films were an influence, with the song “in Serach of Peter Pan” containing references to both “Peter Pan” (although arguably, it might equally be the book or play ) and “Pinocchio,” the latter with a direct quote from one of the film’s songs, a rarity for Kate Bush.

6. Harry Horton says:

The article brings me back to my December posting where I wish one of UK networks would air about a half an hour fantasy or mystical program with Kate Bush’s ‘December will be magic again’ as the central musical piece and significant theme for such a half an hour program. I thought I would go a little further here on this idea. On Christmas eve when all the festivities finally wind down—-and at around 12:30 a.m. or 1:00 a.m. in the growing dead quiet of night, presenting such a Kate Bush half an hour mystical program with the December will be magic song—this time period would be ideal for all the night owls to view on T.V. for such a time slot. Christmas morning would be the next event to follow the December will b Magic program some hours later. In any case everytime I hear december will be magic such a Christmas eve T.V. story like program scenario comes to mind. Thus another opportunity to create a story setting for a Kate Bush song—such a half an hour mystical T.V. program could bring forth.

7. davie says:

Well, I am interested in this because I feel in many ways Kate’s videos are a piece of unique work that travel alongside the song. What I mean is that often her videos stay in the memory. If I mention the song Babooshka to anyone they will often recall the double base in the video. If Wow is mentioned a picture is conjured up of Kate’s circular arm movement. More recently the use of puppets in connection to 50WFS has an iconic element to it. I have heard Kate say in interview that she is telling a story within a song and I feel the portrayal on screen offers more depth and creates a multi layered piece of art.

8. neil says:

She also met film director Michael Powell who directed The red shoes and refers to a meeting with him as the man she meets at the ‘lift waving his walking stick’ in Moments of pleasure.